Friday, December 5, 2008

...She shook her head

"Well, you don't need to now about every boring detail of my life. I like to keep an air of mystery about me. You know," she licked her lips. "A glamour."

Monica couldn't help but be mesmerized by the ruby red of her lipsticked mouth.

"Let's just say" she said with a quirk of those luscious lips, "I'll be ready for, uhm..." she laughed throatily, "A workout."

Violet looked up and saw Joe making his way back to the table. "Whatever I tell him, don't you believe it."

Joe could not help smiling as he saw Violet sitting at his table, looking sexier than any woman had a right to look. Especially not in a dive bar like McGilligans. Was this really the woman who'd had his son?
He put two straight whiskeys and a kir royale down on the table. She fluttered her immensely long lashes at him and he almost missed his chair. "I remembered you liked these," he said as he slid the kir across the table to her.

"I've grown up a lot since you left me," she said and reached for his whiskey, downing it in one shot, staring at him the entire time.

"I didn't leave you. You left me," Joe said, angry because he'd thought he had buried the pain. But there it still was. Damn, he needed that whiskey, but Inspector Smith Jones had already taken hers. He picked up the kir royale and tossed it back.

"You're not supposed to have a man's baby and never tell him."

"You never belonged in this town, Joe. Never. You needed to leave."

"Not like that. Not after you

No comments: